Highnam Court was built in 1658 for William Cooke after the original house was seriously damaged in the Civil War. Following various owners, Thomas Gambier Parry, who was an accomplished artist, musician and art collector, bought the Highnam Estate in 1838. This talented painter is also responsible for the magnificent frescoes in Highnam Church. He started to layout his garden in 1840, and by 1874 it rivalled any in the UK. The gardens had been neglected restoration started in 1994. During the last 25 years, since Roger Head has been the owner, the gardens have been totally and lovingly restored to their former glory, with many new additions being made to compliment and enhance the original design.