The Guise Family 1769-1838
The first certain record of the Guise family is connected with Aspley Guise in Bedfordshire; the manor was before 1267 subinfeudated to Anselm de Gyse by John de Burgh, son of Hubert, Earl of Kent, the famous Justiciur of England. The family held this manor until 1539, doubtless giving its name to the place. [See V.C.H., Beds., iii, 339].In 1274 the same donor granted the manor of Elmore to Anselm de Gyse [D326/T2]. This became the nucleus of the Gloucestershire properties. Later, Elmore was held as of the Honour of Hereford [inq.p.m., 1501].Another Anselme de Gyse [d.1404] held the manor of Daglingworth under Sir Richard Talbot. Descendants are described as 'of Daglingworth' until 1501.On 13 Dec. 1539 Anselme Gyes, heir of John, exchanged 'several properties with the Crown, among them giving up Aspley Guise and receiving the Manor of Brockworth which had formerly belonged to the dissolved priory of Lanthony. John Guise took up residence at Brockworth where he died 1556; his son Anselme died at Elmore.William Guise was knighted 1619; and became Vice-Admiral for Gloucestershire by the appointment of the Duke of Buckingham, 1626. His younger brother, also William, was Town Clerk of Gloucester. Another William, son of the elder by his first marriage, was sheriff of Gloucestershire 1647. He or his eldest son Christopher [see D326/T8 and B.G.A.S.] acquired the Manors of Rendcorab and Marsden from the Berkeley family, [? 1636], and Rendcomb later became the family seat. William Guise of Brockworth and subsequently Christopher  leased the site of the Manor of Droyscourt Brockworth from the Bishops of Gloucester; a branch of the family also leased the Manor of Abload's Court, Sandhurst, during the 17th Century [B.G.A.S.; Atkyns, p.635]. In 1661 the same Christopher was created Baronet under the title of Sir Christopher Guise of Elmore. This baronetcy became extinct in March 1783, but was revived the same year in a younger branch of the family.The office of Keeper & Constable of Gloucester Castle was bought and held by Sir John Guise, 1690-1720.In 1690-91, Thomas Pury of Gloucester assigned the Manor of Rodley [Westbury-on-Severn] to Sir John Guise. The manor was within the Duchy of Lancaster and the lords held it presumably as farmers of the Duchy, paying an annual rent of £48. 7s. 10d.Henry, youngest brother of Sir Christopher Guise, settled at Winterbourne, near Bristol. His grandson Henry married Mary, daughter and co-heiress of Sir Edward Cooke, of Highnam, and his son John acquired the whole Cooke estate by inheritance and purchase of the moiety held by the other co-heiress. The Highnam estate was united with the other Gloucestershire estates in 1783 when John Guise (created Baronet Dec. 1783) succeeded his distant cousin Sir William, making Highnam his seat.The Guise family were lords paramount of the Hundred and Manors of Dudstone & King's Barton, from by 1787, and seem to have farmed some of the Manors within the hundred under the Dean & Chapter of Gloucester.Sir Berkeley William Guise, 2nd bapt. of the second creation, [1775-1834] was M.P. for Gloucestershire, 1811-1832 and for E. Gloucestershire 1832-34, incurring much expense over elections. His brother, General Sir John Wright Guise, K.C.B., 3rd bart. [1777-1865] sold Rendcombe, Eighnam and Brockworth; the estates of Elmore and Rodley remain in the Guise family. General Guise was with Moore at Corunna, became the senior general in the British Army, and was given a special grant of supporters to the family arms.