The main approach to Highnam Court is from Chepstow Lodge in the centre of the south side of the park, close to the east end of the lake. A drive from this entrance was in use by the mid 18th century, and until the Terrace was constructed in the 1840s terminated at the south side of the house. In the 18th century there was no lodge. A ‘new lodge’ had been built on the Gloucester road by 1838 (Singleton Edwards Landscape c 1990); the present structure, of brick with stone dressings in the manner of the house, is probably a mid 19th century replacement. From its gates the drive crosses a mid 19th century bridge and dam (listed grade II) at the end of The Lake, and then runs north on a line established during the Second World War to meet the drive from Linton Lodge which ends at the gravel courtyard on the north side of the house. Linton Lodge, at the south-east corner of the park, and its drive (first section not in use 1999) were constructed sometime between 1841 and 1874, the lodge being greatly enlarged and modernized c 1990. The third main approach is the Back Drive (present by 1757) from the north-west, a straight, tree-lined approach off Two Mile Lane, south of Highnam Green.
Until The Lake was enlarged to its present extent in 1809-10 there was a drive called Welch Lane leading north-east to the house from the Gloucester road.
PRINCIPAL BUILDING Highnam Court (listed grade I) was built in the Artisan Mannerist style in 1658 to replace a house destroyed in the Civil War. It is a nine-by-five bay, double-pile, two-storey house of brick with stone quoins with a hipped slate roof with dormers. The interior of the house was transformed in the later 18th century during John Guise’s ownership. Further alterations and additions took place in T G Parry’s time under Lewis Vulliamy (d 1886), with the entrance being moved from the south front to the north and in 1869 a billiard room being added to the east side of the house to a design by David Brandon.
A full amount can be found at www.historicengland.org.uk