You are invited to visit the church of St. Andrews in Churcham. There has been a church on this site since 1100 and will have seen significant changes since those humble beginnings. St. Andrew’s was the primary church in the area before the consecration of The Holy Innocents in 1851. The Gambier Parrys worshipped at Churcham before the new church in Highnam was built and some family members are buried there. It is also the final resting place of Henry Hook VC. Henry’s full name was Alfred Henry Hook. Harry Hook was awarded the Victoria Cross for helping to rescue the hospital patients whilst defending against the Zulus. His award was gazetted on 2nd May, 1879 one of 11 awarded to Rorke’s Drift soldiers. Henry Hook is buried in St. Andrew’s churchyard.
There will be a talk on the history of the church with references to Henry Hook. Full details closer to the event.
Enquiries:- Susanna email@example.com
Non-members £5 entry or join annually £10 and enjoy all our events free of charge.